Learn how to practice living in the present moment to get anxiety and stress relief immediately. Living in the present moment entails doing the opposite of what your stress response and anxious mind want to do. Learn how by engaging your senses and fully experiencing the present moment.
Stress and anxiety relief are important aspects to manage when experiencing negative health feelings. I know when I feel off physically, it can really tempt me into a negative mental state as well. When my cycle is “off” it can cause me to feel tense, moody and otherwise preoccupied. But I’ve learned to do several things which help me to cope and keep moving forward.
These are tips you can practice at home and bring with you anywhere you go.
What are 10 of the best ideas at home for anxiety and stress relief?
My practices of dealing with stress and anxiety are focused around staying in the present moment and doing the opposite.
Let me explain. What happens when you have anxiety and stress? Immobilization of your critical thinking, right?
People use these words to describe their feelings when experiencing stress and anxiety:
- I feel all over the place.
- I feel out of control.
- My mind is spinning/frozen/numb.
- I need to DO something NOW.
People behave in several similar ways when experiencing anxiety and stress:
- They forget to breathe.
- They tense up their bodies.
- Their minds start spinning like a broken record.
- They may talk faster and repeat themselves.
How do you experience anxiety and stress relief after going down this path? Realize you are there, stay in the present moment and do the opposite.
These form of stress relief I’m about to share will help you to:
- Engage your critical thinking skills.
- Engage your creativity.
- RELAX a tensed up body.
- Experience pleasure.
ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF VIA THE SENSE OF SMELL
1) Breathe and and Out. Breathe in and out slowly three times going at your own pace.
Getting enough oxygen is important all of the time anyways, but its critical when you are stressed because you use up oxygen more quickly. You brain also needs it to function optimally – something you’re not going to do well if you are anxious and stressed.
2) Open a window and breathe in the fresh air.
3) Use a home air diffuser. Essential oils sweet orange and lemon really lift the mood. Vanilla and cinnamon are very comforting.
You may also be interested in this related post:
ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF VIA THE SENSE OF TASTE
4) Hold something warm. Holding onto a warm drink induces a positive outlook.
5) Eat something rich and nourishing. Have you eaten recently? Keeping steady blood sugars help to maintain a steady mood they say.
You may also be interested in these related posts:
- 5 Healing Teas That Your Body Will Love
- More of the Best Herbal Teas for Endometriosis
- Top 10 Ways to Improve Digestion and Endometriosis
ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF VIA THE SENSE OF TOUCH
6) Engage your hands in a creative hobby. Like to knit or paint? Dabble and let your mind enjoy the creative brain state inconducive to anxiety.
7) Pet an animal.
8) Place a hot water bottle where you feel the most tense or cold.
You may be interested in these related posts:
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Massage for Endometriosis
- Ways to Feel Beautiful with Chronic Illness – 5 Tips
- The Best Natural Health Practices for Endometriosis
ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF VIA THE SENSE OF SIGHT
9) Look at your vision board.
10) Look at your favorite photographs. Relive happy memories.
11) Trace the outline of a plant with your eyes. Observe beauty. Engage your mind.
12) Do a crossword or sudoku puzzle. Engage your mind.
You may also be interested in this related post:
ANXIETY AND STRESS RELIEF VIA THE SENSE OF HEARING
13) Listed to a guided visualization. These are useful for thinking more optimistic, practical or comforting thoughts. Try deep breathing visualization.
14) Listen to a comedian or your favorite podcast.
14) Listen to Gregorian Chant. Gregorian chant is a form of contemplative prayer. It’s also a powerful means of healing.
French audiology Dr. Alfred Tomatis found that when monks of the Benedictine tradition reinstituted Gregorian chant in their monastery, the monks sense of well-being improved. The chant eased symptoms of depression, fatigue and physical illness.
Dr. Tomatis also studied the importance of hearing development in utero and later lifetime implications.
When you are feeling anxious and stressed, hopefully these at home tips will help you relieve stress quickly. While there are many potent anxiety and stress relief tablets for adults from the doctor, sometimes learning some coping skills is in order as well.
Our bodies can do very strange things when under stress and by engaging the 5 senses and staying in the present moment, we give ourselves a break from the load currently being experienced.
What works best for your when battling mental health concerns? Let’s discuss in the comments section.
Thanks for stopping by! Don’t be a stranger – find me on social media!
Disclaimer: This post is intended for informational purposes only. I’m not a qualified practitioner and I’m not encouraging anyone else to do this. Please consult a qualified practitioner before implementing these things or changing your current treatment plan. This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no cost to you I earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase.